Skip to main content

Well, hello again

It has been awhile, yes? Why so long? Life, I suppose. Also feeling a little like, 'what the hell do I have to say that either someone else hasn't said well or that anyone cares to read?'. Honestly, it's all been said and done, right? But I am realizing there is a deep compulsion in me to shut that silly voice up, the voice of doubt, the cynical little self saboteur that lurks from time to time. Shut the hell up, doubter. Shut up cynicism. Shut up been there done that thoughts. Ok, now that that's out of the way, hello again! Hello from very very windy New Mexico, where, in the last week we've enjoyed mudstorms, winds gusting to 80 mph, downed power lines, fires in orchards that have destroyed ancient, magical fruit trees and habitat for local birds and bees and humans. I encountered, on my drive home from work last week during 50 mph crosswinds and a mudstorm the like of which I've never encountered, a tumbleweed as large as my car bouncing across the road. It was 'oh shit!' huge, and and I was super grateful when it managed to bounce over to the side of the road before I passed. It has been superbly, comfortably springlike warm, then absolutely frigid and hostile and dangerously windy, all in a week. WTF? It is simply unsettling to have parts of your home fly away...when caught in a particularly vicious gust. This stuff really needs to calm down, and soon. In an informal survey conducted over the last ten days, I've found most of us have endured something ridiculous, something scary, something fundamentally unsettling. My patients have all had weird stories to tell. These stories, given my rural clinic practice, usually involve horses, angsty livestock, tumbleweeds,fussy goats, uncharacteristically aggressive chickens and barns...in some form or another. And none of the stories have been funny yet. So we are all really ready for the shitty weather, solar flare storms, and general nonsense to cease. Now would be a great time for said ceasing. Life is feeling a lot more normal than the last time I was here. Normal, though, has shifted a bit, hasn't it? Our classical definition vs what we're inclined to consider normal now is different. It's like, after almost three years of COVID we've opted to simply lower the bar when it comes to our view of reality. We've seemingly, collectively, decided that it's ok to be happy with a lesser version of perfect. We've adapted. And here we are. We've all dealt with the mask thing, with differing results. We've all dealt with the vaccination thing, with varying results. Many of us have emerged from the COVID cloud bruised but still here. We're all a little twitchy, and I have noticed in others and experienced for myself a level of intolerance for general bullshit, now. It's like we just go, 'really, you want to monopolize my time with that level of nonsense? No thanks.' There is a sense of collective PTSD that has been well earned, and through which we must navigate. I have routinely added special PTSD treatments for almost all of my patients in the last several years. None of us are above the pull of the memories, at this point. So if you haven't acknowledged your own, please do. Please take time to meditate, to contemplate, to count your blessings, to embrace the beauty of simply being alive, being here, being in a place to feel snark and joy and love and angst, not necessarily in that order. Because many, many don't have that luxury anymore. And taking a moment to recognize and appreciate that? Is time well spent. This is getting long. I should probably wrap this one up, yes? Modern readers don't really like long content anymore. Fortunately, a) I don't have the normal following and, b) this is my blog, so if I want to be windy, so be it. I hope you are well, that you look forward to Spring and tulips and daffodils and the smell of the Earth as she awakens for another cyle of growth, birth, renewal. I've missed you. Hugs and love, Stevie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dang it's hot

It has decided to be summer now, after weeks of fluctuating between cool and cooler.... The A/C is on high. I am trying to study, but really don't want to ...due to a general weightiness that has settled over me, no doubt the heat is just slowing me down for the moment. So, instead of pressing through and forcing myself to do something I don't really have the energy to do right now I am honoring my state of mind and just relaxing a little.... I have begun serious study for my BioMed exam, and reviewing the material is making me realize that I have in fact learned a great deal during my journey through this program, but more importantly is I have begun to look at things, all things, differently.  I am not sure when it began, the shift to this new view, but it has taken hold and infuses my being with an appreciation for the beauty and complexity of life, of the human body, of the human condition, of the universe in general. I have learned facts and data, I have examined ca...

The choices we make, make us who we are, don't they?

W. H. Auden once said: Choice of attention—to pay attention to this and ignore that—is to the inner life what choice of action is to the outer. It's so easy to get caught up in the day to day that we often forget that every single choice that we make, particularly when it comes to how we live, not just the little niggling details, really matters. Every single one. I guess it boils down to limited resources, right? There are a finite number of moments in each day, and most of us are obligated to spend a considerable number of those pursuing our careers, making ends meet, etc., which means that the number available for spiritual and emotional nurturing are limited, indeed. So demonstrating our love for our families, taking good care of ourselves-nutritionally, emotionally, spiritually, physically, in the moments we actually have for those pursuits? Makes absolute sense. And growing our hearts and enriching our spirits through whatever means we choose, be it spending more ...

On Mondays. And lots of rules.

Mondays can be a challenge. There's the whole shock to the system of waking up and realizing it's not the weekend anymore, which kind of blows. And then the jolt out of the lazy flow of the weekend into the time-focused 'gotta be at the office by x time, gotta get ready for the company meeting, gotta check emails/deadlines to ensure nothing is on fire' stuff. And then the reality of settling into the week...and knowing that this one will be a full one. They all seem to be. This week for me: Work. Lots of good stuff going on, but 'lots' being the watchword. School. 2nd trimester starts. Tomorrow a.m. So tomorrow for me is school, 9-12; work 1230-430; clinic 5-9. Long day, Tuesday. For this I've washed and pressed my lab coat, cleaned out my tote (it is truly amazing what collects during a trimester in terms of used kleenexes, abandoned index cards, folded notes that were important at some point but now are just extra weight, stale snacks, etc.), and ...