Skip to main content

So, here we are

I think I need a social media break. Here's why: 

  (1.) I am becoming annoyed by all of the well meaning spiritual guidance. Every.damned.time I get on Instagram there is an endless stream of advice based upon advice I've liked in the past. I get it - I've provided the behavior for the algorithms. And I truly do believe...in whatever I liked in the past, but I'm overwhelmed with the variety of insights and sheer volume of it all. 

 (2.)My relatives are batshit crazy. And they are insistent upon sharing their batshit crazy views, repeatedly. Ceaselessly. The crazy is far left/spirtual/convinced we are about to ascend...and far right/Trump lovers/flag wavers/right to lifers. My family, it's a mixed bag of nuts, but honestly....they wear me out. And social media gives them a platform from which to distribute their brand of nuts. 

(3.)I have less self control than I'd like. Honestly, I love beautiful blue jeans, responsibly crafted, well, anything, and when that organization gives back (literally or by virtue of being responsibly crafted) I feel more comfortable purchasing whatever they happen to be selling at any given moment. I am not proud of this, and I am much better than I used to be, but the temptation is endless, and the ads are compelling as all getout. I'm weak, and I know it. *I need to add that the energy suck comes from diving into and swirling down the rabbit hole of compulsion, envisioning how product X would make me feel/work into my wardrobe/support whatever cause I happen to be particularly energetic about at that moment in time and then NOT acting on the impulse. I actually don't succumb hardly at all, but the energy to NOT ...exhausts me. 

(4.)I have become twitchy. The onslaught of information, daily, or, more to the point, by the second....updating me on the microdetails surrounding this fucking pandemic and its impact/death toll/characteristics or the election results (don't get me started on how pissed I am, yet again, at how Trump is distracting and using resources on fucking counting votes AGAIN instead of focusing on managing a wild and nasty virus that is decimating our country's morale and populus as we speak. I am an addict...an information addict, and it's time to intervene on my own behalf.  

So, yeah. Here we are. And it's Friday, which, right now, since my clinic is closed once again due to the fucking virus (I support this, I am simply pissed at the virus at all..it's taken an unfathomable toll on far too many when it could have/should have been managed/limited from the outset...so yeah, I'm pissed we're in this position at ALL), which doesn't feel like Friday right now. I know a few things. I know the numbers are high and getting higher each day, which means our governor is most likely going to have to extend the shelter in place order, which means I don't actually know when we'll be able to safely reopen our clinic and that simply sucks for a million reasons. 

Time for a walk. Fresh air, sunshine, and about an hour out in the desert may help. But the social media break, I think it needs to happen. 

Hugs and love (even when I'm grumpy, or maybe especially when I'm grumpy), 

Stevie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Running Shoes...with Waves

Remember when you had one pair of tennies and they were for everything? Everything. Those days ended for me in high school when I started to run in earnest. In Nike Pegasus, their original running shoe, in white leather with a red swoosh. They were cushiony and durable and made me feel like less of a poser and more like a real runner. After that the style options exploded. I can't remember when Nike came out with their patented Air technology, but I had one of the original pairs..paid a ton of money for them, but it was money well spent. I ran all over the place in those things. All over. The foothills, the valley, sidewalks, parks, around the Academy, wherever...many miles in the originals. Generations of shoes later, I find myself not so happy with the Nike anymore. I've spent thousands of dollars on them in my life, but a few years back began to notice what I deemed to be a general decline in quality, though they've never stopped increasing their prices with ea

May I please be excused?

When G.G. was sorting through the mail the other night he stopped, then started to chuckle. And then he handed me an envelope in which a Jury Summons was contained. He chuckled because he has been called twice, and I have never been called. And for some reason he thought that wasn't right, or fair, or something. Well, I got mine. But it turns out I need to ask them a favor. To postpone my civic duty until after the holidays. Because before the holidays I am responsible for planning and overseeing and/or executing all year end marketing and PR for our little company, as well as publishing our final edition of an e-pub that now distributes to over 300K people each edition, so it needs to look good. And not have spelling errors and stuff. And then when that e-pub flies? I'll be flying, literally, to Providence, then to Europe and the Middle East. There's a lot to get done before I go, and I'm desperately hoping that our jury management system accepts my reque

Schnazzed up Desert Magnolia..again, thanks to LP the graphics guru!

Happy Thursday, everyone! Nope, it's not quite Spring yet, but sometimes a girl's gotta get a new 'do. Or in this case this girl's gotta get a new blog header. You know what I mean. Thank you LP! You rock. I love the artistic approach..it's soft but nice and still says, 'Enter here at your own risk, for opinions of a strong nature are sure to be expressed.' That's how I see it, anyway.